(from Day 17 Morning Prayer)
- O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee: O let my prayer enter into thy presence, incline thine ear unto my calling.
- For my soul is full of trouble: and my life draweth nigh unto hell.
- I am counted as one of them that go down into the pit: and I have been even as a man that hath no strength.
- Free among the dead, like unto them that are wounded, and lie in the grave: who are out of remembrance, and are cut away from thy hand.
- Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit: in a place of darkness, and in the deep.
- Thine indignation lieth hard upon me: and thou hast vexed me with all thy storms.
- Thou hast put away mine acquaintance far from me: and made me to be abhorred of them.
- I am so fast in prison: that I cannot get forth.
- My sight faileth for very trouble: Lord, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched forth my hands unto thee.
- Dost thou shew wonders among the dead: or shall the dead rise up again, and praise thee?
- Shall thy loving-kindness be shewed in the grave: or thy faithfulness in destruction?
- Shall thy wondrous works be known in the dark: and thy righteousness in the land where all things are forgotten?
- Unto thee have I cried, O Lord: and early shall my prayer come before thee.
- Lord, why abhorrest thou my soul: and hidest thou thy face from me?
- I am in misery, and like unto him that is at the point to die: even from my youth up thy terrors have I suffered with a troubled mind.
- Thy wrathful displeasure goeth over me: and the fear of thee hath undone me.
- They came round about me daily like water: and compassed me together on every side.
- My lovers and friends hast thou put away from me: and hid mine acquaintance out of my sight.