(from Day 16 Evening Prayer)
Deus, quis similis?
- HOLD not thy tongue, O God, keep not still silence: refrain not thyself, O God.
- For lo, thine enemies make a murmuring: and they that hate thee have lift up their head.
- They have imagined craftily against thy people: and taken counsel against thy secret ones.
- They have said, Come, and let us root them out, that they be no more a people: and that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance.
- For they have cast their heads together with one consent: and are confederate against thee;
- The tabernacles of the Edomites, and the Ismaelites: the Moabites and Hagarenes;
- Gebal, and Ammon, and Amalek: the Philistines, with them that dwell at Tyre.
- Assur also is joined with them: and have holpen the children of Lot.
- But do thou to them as unto the Madianites: unto Sisera, and unto Jabin at the brook of Kison;
- Who perished at Endor: and became as the dung of the earth.
- Make them and their princes like Oreb and Zeb: yea, make all their princes like as Zeba and Salmana;
- Who say, Let us take to ourselves: the houses of God in possession.
- O my God, make them like unto a wheel: and as the stubble before the wind;
- Like as the fire that burneth up the wood: and as the flame that consumeth the mountains.
- Persecute them even so with thy tempest: and make them afraid with thy storm.
- Make their faces ashamed, O Lord: that they may seek thy Name.
- Let them be confounded and vexed ever more and more: let them be put to shame, and perish.
- And they shall know that thou, whose Name is Jehovah: art only the most Highest over all the earth.