(from Day 16 Morning Prayer)
- O GOD, the heathen are come into thine inheritance: thy holy temple have they defiled, and made Jerusalem an heap of stones.
- The dead bodies of thy servants have they given to be meat unto the fowls of the air: and the flesh of thy saints unto the beasts of the land.
- Their blood have they shed like water on every side of Jerusalem: and there was no man to bury them.
- We are become an open shame to our enemies: a very scorn and derision unto them that are round about us.
- Lord, how long wilt thou be angry: shall thy jealousy burn like fire for ever?
- Pour out thine indignation upon the heathen that have not known thee: and upon the kingdoms that have not called upon thy Name.
- For they have devoured Jacob: and laid waste his dwelling-place.
- O remember not our old sins, but have mercy upon us, and that soon: for we are come to great misery.
- Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of thy Name: O deliver us, and be merciful unto our sins, for thy Name's sake.
- Wherefore do the heathen say: Where is now their God?
- O let the vengeance of thy servants' blood that is shed: be openly shewed upon the heathen in our sight.
- O let the sorrowful sighing of the prisoners come before thee: according to the greatness of thy power, preserve thou those that are appointed to die.
- And for the blasphemy wherewith our neighbours have blasphemed thee: reward thou them , O Lord, seven-fold into their bosom.
- So we, that are thy people, and sheep of thy pasture, shall give thee thanks for ever: and will alway be shewing forth thy praise from generation to generation.