(from Day 11 Evening Prayer)
Eripe me de inimicis
- DELIVER me from mine enemies, O God: defend me from them that rise up against me.
- O deliver me from the wicked doers: and save me from the blood-thirsty men.
- For lo, they lie waiting for my soul: the mighty men are gathered against me, without any offence or fault of me, O Lord.
- They run and prepare themselves without my fault: arise thou therefore to help me, and behold.
- Stand up, O Lord God of hosts, thou God of Israel, to visit all the heathen: and be not merciful unto them that offend of malicious wickedness.
- They go to and fro in the evening: they grin like a dog, and run about through the city.
- Behold, they speak with their mouth, and swords are in their lips: for who doth hear?
- But thou. O Lord, shalt have them in derision: and thou shalt laugh all the heathen to scorn.
- My strength will I ascribe unto thee: for thou art the God of my refuge.
- God sheweth me his goodness plenteously: and God shall let me see my desire upon mine enemies.
- .Slay them not, lest my people forget it: but scatter them abroad among the people, and put them down, O Lord, our defence.
- For the sin of their mouth, and for the words of their lips, they shall be taken in their pride: and why? their preaching is of cursing and lies.
- Consume them in thy wrath, consume them, that they may perish: and know that it is God that ruleth in Jacob, and unto the ends of the world.
- And in the evening they will return: grin like a dog, and will go about the city.
- They will run here and there for meat: and grudge if they be not satisfied.
- As for me, I will sing of thy power, and will praise thy mercy betimes in the morning: for thou hast been my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble.
- Unto thee, O my strength, will I sing: for thou, O God, art my refuge, and my merciful God.