(from Day 11 Morning Prayer)
Si vere utique
- ARE your minds set upon righteousness, O ye congregation: and do ye judge the thing that is right, O ye sons of men?
- Yea, ye imagine mischief in your heart upon the earth: and your hands deal with wickedness.
- The ungodly are froward, even from their mother's womb: as soon as they are born, they go astray, and speak lies.
- They are as venomous as the poison of a serpent: even like the deaf adder that stoppeth her ears;
- Which refuseth to hear the voice of the charmer: charm he never so wisely.
- Break their teeth, O God, in their mouths; smite the jaw-bones of the lions, O Lord: let them fall away like water that runneth apace; and when they shoot their arrows let them be rooted out.
- Let them consume away like a snail, and be like the untimely fruit of a woman: and let them not see the sun.
- Or ever your pots be made hot with thorns: so let indignation vex him, even as a thing that is raw.
- The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his footsteps in the blood of the ungodly.
- So that a man shall say, Verily there is a reward for the righteous: doubtless there is a God that judgeth the earth.