(from Day 10 Morning Prayer)
Miserere mei, Deus
- HAVE mercy upon me, O God, after thy great goodness: according to the multitude of thy mercies do away mine offences.
- Wash me throughly from my wickedness: and cleanse me from my sin.
- For I acknowledge my faults: and my sin is ever before me.
- Against thee only have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified in thy saying, and clear when thou art judged.
- Behold, I was shapen in wickedness: and in sin hath my mother conceived me.
- But lo, thou requirest truth in the inward parts: and shalt make me to understand wisdom secretly.
- Thou shalt purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: thou shalt wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
- Thou shalt make me hear of joy and gladness: that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
- Turn thy face from my sins: and put out all my misdeeds.
- Make me a clean heart, O God: and renew a right spirit within me.
- Cast me not away from thy presence: and take not thy holy Spirit from me.
- O give me the comfort of thy help again: and stablish me with thy free Spirit.
- Then shall I teach thy ways unto the wicked: and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
- Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God, thou that art the God of my health: and my tongue shall sing of thy righteousness.
- Thou shalt open my lips, O Lord: and my mouth shall shew thy praise.
- For thou desirest no sacrifice, else would I give it thee: but thou delightest not in burnt-offerings.
- The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit: a broken and contrite heart, O God, shalt thou not despise.
- O be favourable and gracious unto Sion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
- Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifice of righteousness, with the burnt-offerings and oblations: then shall they offer young bullocks upon thine altar.