(from Day 8 Evening Prayer)
Beatus qui intelligit
- BLESSED is he that considereth the poor and needy: the Lord shall deliver him in the time of trouble.
- The Lord preserve him, and keep him alive, that he may be blessed upon earth: and deliver not thou him into the will of his enemies.
- The Lord comfort him, when he lieth sick upon his bed: make thou all his bed in his sickness.
- I said, Lord, be merciful unto me: heal my soul, for I have sinned against thee.
- Mine enemies speak evil of me: When shall he die, and his name perish?
- And if he come to see me, he speaketh vanity: and his heart conceiveth falsehood within himself, and when he cometh forth he telleth it.
- All mine enemies whisper together against me: even against me do they imagine this evil.
- Let the sentence of guiltiness proceed against him: and now that he lieth, let him rise up no more.
- Yea, even mine own familiar friend, whom I trusted: who did also eat of my bread, hath laid great wait for me.
- But be thou merciful unto me, O Lord: raise thou me up again, and I shall reward them.
- By this I know thou favourest me: that mine enemy doth not triumph against me.
- And when I am in my health, thou upholdest me: and shalt set me before thy face for ever.
- Blessed be the Lord God of Israel: world without end. Amen.