Day 23 Evening Prayer
In exitu Israel
- WHEN Israel came out of Egypt: and the house of Jacob from among the strange people,
- Judah was his sanctuary: and Israel his dominion.
- The sea saw that, and fled: Jordan was driven back.
- The mountains skipped like rams: and the little hills like young sheep.
- What aileth thee, O thou sea, that thou fleddest: and thou Jordan, that thou wast driven back?
- Ye mountains, that ye skipped like rams: and ye little hills, like young sheep?
- Tremble, thou earth, at the presence of the Lord: at the presence of the God of Jacob;
- Who turned the hard rock into a standing water: and the flint-stone into a springing well.
Non nobis, Domine
- NOT unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto thy Name give the praise: for thy loving mercy and for thy truth's sake.
- Wherefore shall the heathen say: Where is now their God?
- As for our God, he is in heaven: he hath done whatsoever pleased him.
- Their idols are silver and gold: even the work of men's hands.
- They have mouths, and speak not: eyes have they, and see not.
- They have ears, and hear not: noses have they, and smell not.
- They have hands, and handle not; feet have they, and walk not: neither speak they through their throat.
- They that make them are like unto them ; and so are all such as put their trust in them.
- But thou, house of Israel, trust thou in the Lord: he is their succour and defence.
- Ye house of Aaron, put your trust in the Lord: he is their helper and defender.
- Ye that fear the Lord, put your trust in the Lord: he is their helper and defender.
- The Lord hath been mindful of us, and he shall bless us: even he shall bless the house of Israel, he shall bless the house of Aaron.
- He shall bless them that fear the Lord: both small and great.
- The Lord shall increase you more and more: you and your children.
- Ye are the blessed of the Lord: who made heaven and earth.
- All the whole heavens are the Lord's: the earth hath he given to the children of men.
- The dead praise not thee, O Lord: neither all they that go down into silence.
- But we will praise the Lord: from this time forth for evermore. Praise the Lord.